If you are looking to boost your immune system against common viruses and illnesses, you might be wondering what the best way is to fight back against these pathogens. One of the best ways may surprise you.
Did you know that bad oral health can make your immune system weaker, and raise your risk of becoming sick? Learn more in this blog from Eastside Family Dentistry, and find out how you can keep your immune system in tip-top shape.
Bad Oral Health Can Negatively Affect Your Immune System!
It’s true. Bad oral health has been associated with poor immune response, and can weaken your ability to fight back against pathogens like viruses and bacteria. How? It’s actually quite simple to understand.
Your body’s ability to fight back against viruses, bacteria, and other harmful organisms is limited. While we can produce lots of immune cells like antibodies and white blood cells, we can’t produce an infinite amount of them to respond to threats all throughout our bodies.
That means that, if you have poor oral health, your immune system is using a lot of resources to fight back against bacteria in your mouth. For example, if you have gingivitis, the first stage of gum disease, your body will send a lot of immune cells to your gums, which will swell and become inflamed as you try to fight back against infectious bacteria.
In turn, this means that these immune cells can’t be sent elsewhere in your body to protect against other threats, which can weaken your overall immune response, and your ability to prevent and fight back against other illnesses.
How Can You Maintain A Healthy Immune System? With Proper Dental Care!
The best way to keep your body healthy and ensure your immune system is strong is to maintain great oral health with proper dental care. Wondering how? Follow the tips below to eliminate bacteria from your mouth, prevent common dental issues, and bolster your immune system.
- Brush at least twice a day for two minutes – If you’re not already doing this, now is the time to start. Brush for at least two minutes twice a day. Brushing once in the morning and once at night before bed will maximize the number of bacteria you remove, and keep your smile healthy.
- Don’t forget to floss – Brushing alone removes only about 60% of bacteria and food debris. You need to floss at least once per day to keep your smile at its best, and prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar between your teeth.
- Consider using antibacterial mouthwash – Using antibacterial mouthwash can help destroy millions of bacteria in your mouth. It’s not a substitute for brushing and flossing, but feel free to incorporate mouthwash into your daily routine.
- Get teeth cleanings and oral exams every six months – Regular care from a dentist like Dr. Alexandra Cristescu at Eastside Family Dentistry will ensure you keep your teeth and gums healthy and strong.
- Maintain a tooth-friendly diet – Avoid eating too much sugar, simple carbohydrates, and processed foods, which can promote the buildup of bacteria in your mouth. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat, whole grains, and other such foods will help keep your mouth healthier.
Overdue For Your Next Teeth Cleaning? Come To Our Office Right Away!
If you haven’t had your teeth cleaned or examined in a while in Issaquah, Dr. Alexandra Cristescu is here to help. To get started and schedule your next preventive care appointment, just contact us online or give us a call at (425) 391-9200. We’re always accepting new patients, and we hope to hear from you soon.